Do You Need A Health Detective

... Call your RN Patient Advocate!

Reduce Your Risk of Medical Error

iRNPA Patient Support Medication Support


iRNPA Patient Support MediKey

RNPA Intensive - Learning Experience

“In a year’s time after taking the RNPA Learning Intensive, my career, my health, my family, my very life has been transformed. I am forever grateful” — Karen DiMarco, RN, iRNPA

“The way of the future of absolute must if you want to make and be the difference in righting the wrongs of healthcare. Kare is a wonderful mentor who has put her soul into this program. Passion, Vision, Perseverance.” — Lana Benton, RN, iRNPA

“The forethought, experience, openness, philosophy and preparation provides all the tools, thought process, and confidence to begin and succeed as an iRNPA.” — Leta Gill, RN, iRNPA

“My experience attending the iRNPA program was a refreshing one, to say the least. This program was packed with life changing information that is not readily taught or available to RN's. This program equipped me with the tools I need to be an iRNPA!  If you are ready for a change after working for many years in the clinical setting, and are driven to help patients and families, this is the program for you!  Karen is a wealth of knowledge that is unmatched in the advocacy process.” — Jamie Long

“Thank you so much for putting together such an incredible RN PA intensive course!  It is truly intensive but so worth it!  I learned a lot and will be using the Medical Time Line and lab spreadsheet with as many clients as i can.  All great information and can’t wait to get my speaking engagements lined up now that I have your fantastic power points!” —  Nan Wetherhorn, Health Care Advisor,

Let’s talk about bones. . . about types of calcium to build bones. . . about medications used in osteoporosis.


boneremodelingBones are constantly breaking down bone cells and building new ones (called remodeling).  How does calcium fit in here?  Which medications might be helpful (or harmful)?

Americans take more calcium supplements than any other group on the planet – and we have one of the highest rates of osteoporosis.  Why?

Calcium is only one of many different components necessary to help build and maintain strong bones.  The calcium in your bones accounts for approximately 20% of the entire makeup of bone. That’s it.  The other 80% contains phosphorus, zinc, magnesium and many other minerals, as well as collagen protein.  This is a big part of the reason that taking calcium supplements alone is not the answer.  Taking calcium alone would be like trying to bake a cake with only one ingredient or building a car using only steel. 

There is a calcium based supplement called MCHC (microcrystalline hydroxyapatite) that contains all the elements of bone building that can serve a more effective role in maintaining bone health.  Learn more here. . . 

The medications used to treat osteoporosis have significant drawbacks as clearly defined by the FDA.  They prevent bone breakdown, but do not build new bone.  Old bone becomes brittle and can spontaneously fracture – particularly the jaw and the thighbone and hip.  One in particular has severe potential risks: Prolia.  The FDA’s Division of Epidemiology listed nine “adverse events of special interest” before Prolia’s approval, including:

Osteonecrosis of the jaw (destruction of jaw bone tissue)

Atypical fracture

Fracture healing complications

Low calcium levels

Infections (adversely affects the immune system)

Acute pancreatitis 

New primary malignancy.  Learn more about this here . . .

What to do?  Learn more.  Ask an RN Patient Advocate to teach you about bones:  how they grow, why they decay, all the different approaches.  Then decide what is best for you.

Contact us!

RN Patient Advocates, PLC

3400 West Goret Road
Tucson, AZ 85745
Phone: 520-743-7008
Home / Let’s talk about bones. . . about types of calcium to build bones. . . about medications used in osteoporosis.

Copyright © 2017 Karen Mercereau, RN Patient Advocates, PLC. All rights reserved.